Statistics on Child Abuse & Neglect
Cases of child abuse and neglect are far too common within our communities. On average, in the United States, more than five children die each day as a result of child abuse or neglect. There are over 6.2 million reports made of child abuse and neglect each year and over 15 million children witness violence in their homes each year. We must never forget that behind every statistic is a real child.
- In 2013, 18 infants under the age of 2 died from abuse and neglect.
- Genesee County had over 2000 cases of child abuse and neglect
Michigan Statistics on Child Abuse
- In 2012 569 children died from abuse and neglect in the state of Michigan.
- An estimated 34,777 children were victims of abuse or neglect.
- Out of the 33,434 child victims, 7,686 (23%) were babies under the age of years.
- The number of abused and neglected children in Michigan has risen to its highest level in more than 25 years
National Statistics on Child Abuse
- In 2015, an estimated 1,670 children died from abuse and neglect in the United States.
- Nearly 700,000 children are abused in the U.S annually.
- 51 states reported approximately 3.8 million children received preventative services from Child Protective Services agencies in the United States.
- Children younger than one year had the highest rate of victimization of 21.9 per 1,000 children in the national population of the same age.
- Of the children who experienced maltreatment or abuse, over 75% suffered neglect; more than 15% suffered physical abuse; and just under 10% suffered sexual abuse.
- Approximately 80% of reported child fatalities as a result of abuse and neglect were caused by one or more of the child victim’s parents.